In 2017, on behalf of the Buchan Local Community Planning Group, Artventure sought an experienced artist to create, direct and perform live circus and street theatre with a focus on aspects of the Peterhead Town Trail which tells the stories of Peterhead’s diverse culture and rich history.
During Summer 2017, MODO was funded to deliver the “Blootoon Picaroons” show – a comical show which follows two rival gangs of hapless pirates on their quest for treasure, which picks up on some of the rumoured pirate connections of Peterhead’s history.
The street show was designed to be performed in Drummer’s Corner, and the size of it allowed MODO to perform it in various other public spaces. Over Summer, the Blootoon Picaroons performed in
- Monte Compatri, Rome as part of the Italian JéMBE Festival on 14th June with Iustumo
- Drummer’s Corner for Scottish Week’s Buchan Queen Crowning on 15th July and for the parade on 22nd July
- Peterhead’s Eden Park for Scottish Week’s Picnic in the Park on 16th July
- Portsoy for NEAT Deveron on the 9th August
- Hay-on-Wye, Wales for the CircusWorks Festival on 16th August
- Cruden Bay for the Cruden Bay Gala on 2nd September
- Fraserburgh for the Super Saturday on 9th September
- Aden Country Park for the Vintage Tractor Day on 24th September
The performances have allowed MODO all sorts of networking opportunities –
- MODO collaborated with Roundhouse in London for their “On Mass 2017” Music Festival. Performers from Roundhouse traveled up to Peterhead to rehearse with MODO members. MODO performers then traveled down to London to perform live in front of an audience of 1,500+ as well as the performance being globally live streamed to more than 5,000+ viewers.
- MODO have also teamed up with Iustomo for the second year of the JéMBE Festival where they’ll host and participate in a week of performances and workshops from the 18th to 23rd June 2018.
You can keep up with the Blootoon Picaroons and MODO’s other activities through their Facebook page.